Wednesday, March 31, 2010

6 crazy weeks

I know it's been a while since I've last blogged, but it has been one wild ride the last 6 weeks. So I guess I'll start from the beginning. This is going to be long... beware!
Well Andrew and I are settled in, but like everywhere we live, our second bedroom is still a disastrous box room. We are working on it slowly, but surely. We love our place except our phone reception! It is perfect for us and in a great location. We live in a small town Harrison New Jersey which is like a part of Newark, New Jersey. Newark has some really ghetto places and at night you do not want to be anywhere near there. Harrison is full of Peruvians, and we live right in the middle of the Peruvian community. They always stare at us as we enter our building only because we are the only white people that live on here. It's pretty comical. We live right next to resuturants, salons, barber shops, tailoring shops, 99 cent stores, and much much more. We couldn't ask for a better location.
Andrew's job is going AWESOME! He is loving every minute of it and is very good at it. People at work are already really impressed with his work and have given him more responsibilities that others didn't get to do until months after working there. He is such a hard worker and it shows. So he is in contact with a lot of AD agencies everyday and puts their ads in DirecTV's slots. (I really hope I explained that right.) His accounts are the busiest so he ends up working really late sometimes, but if you know Andrew you know that he LOVES to work so it all works out ok!
Originally I (being Jess) moved here to Harrison with a job already locked in. I was going to work in NYC at Wachovia (which is a bank here in the East) After exploring this little town of Harrison I stumbled upon a Wachovia right around the corner from our house and decided that I would rather stay around here. So I was in contact with the NYC branch and letting them know that I'd rather work here. The manager was really nice about it and totally understood. Well somethings got confused and in the end after, weeks and weeks of talking with multiple people, they told me I would have to work in NYC for 6 months before I could transfer. Now I know that sounds like a great opportunity and how lucky I was to even have a job, but then something crazy happened....... I found out I was 8 weeks pregnant at the time!!! So I knew something was up when I was feeling really sick all the time. Sure enough the pregnancy stick showed positive within 2 seconds. I just knew that I wouldn't last 6 months of 14 hour days on my feet feeling awful and then having to ride the train home with all the stops and winding around. Just thinking about it makes me sick. It ended up that I turned down the job and am currently not working.
Andrew and I both got callings at our branch, but first let me tell you a little bit about our "branch." I call it a twig instead of a branch because on average we have about 70 active members. It is VERY DIVERSE! We have people from literally everywhere in the world. Their stories are really amazing and they are soooo awesome. It is actually the first time I have felt so welcomed into the church. I can't even begin to tell you the love that I have for these people here. There are only 2 young women and 3-4 young men. The primary went from 1 child to 12 children in one week. A lot of them are brothers and sisters so it was kinda crazy how fast our branch grew in like 2-3 weeks. So Andrew got called to be the Gospel Doctrine teacher and Jess is the 2 counselor in the Young Women and also the only Primary teacher, but the primary is temporary. In this branch I'm not quite sure what temporary means though so I am expecting to be there for a while. My heart truly belongs in the Young Women's though. The two girls that are in there are sisters and have had a very very hard life and they are only 12 and 14. They are really hardened, but such good girls. Coming from Idaho and being such a girly girl I sometimes don't know how to go about talking to them about things like standards. There is NO organization in our branch and it's been a whirl wind to say the least, but such a cool experience. We feel so blessed to be here right now.Andrew and I actually got to go to the youth temple trip to do baptisms for the dead and had such a blast. The youth loved it and thought it was the coolest thing ever.
I know that I have already mentioned that I am not working right now, but to be honest I feel like I am not working for a reason. There are a lot of things to be done for this branch and I have already put my not working to good use. Also there are a lot of expecting mothers who know I am not working so they have asked me to baby sit or to help them run some errands and I have been more then willing. I just feel like maybe I am not working for their sakes. Does that sound silly??? maybe, but I feel grateful for not working. I've been walking in the mornings with a lady and her daughter and have loved getting to know her. I've been designated to be the hospital runner if the baby comes and husbands aren't around. So this is my work....
My birthday came and went and Andrew got me stuff that I've been asking for! What a good husband he is. We went to Hibachi which I am a huge fan of and have been craving. So that was really fun and then I got really sick... awesome.. thank you to my little baby pistachio. I'm due sometime in October. I'll let you know more when I know more! So 23 and preggo, never thought I'd say that in the same sentence, but what a fun birthday, thank you to my wonderful hubby.
While Andrew was at work the other day, he was sitting at his desk when all the sudden some people were jumping out of their chairs rushing to the window. A guy from the building next to them actually jumped out the window and fell on the building next to them. That happened at around noon and the body wasn't taken away until 6pm when Andrew was leaving to go home. Wow how crazy for that to happen and on my birthday too. I just think that's so sad to be that upset with life.
Oh yeah I almost forgot, a few weeks ago when we found out we were pregnant we decided to celebrate. So we went into the city ate at a really nice steakhouse and then went to go see Wicked. Oh my heck it was so good! We got some seriously good seats and I was really impressed. It was my first broadway play and I will defiantly be back.
We really have had some crazy experiences but this blog would just be toooo long to write them all down so I think I might start blogging more to share some of these funny stories with you all. So conference is right around the corner and we decided to go to DC for the weekend and going to hit all the museums for the fun of it. So look for that next week. Alright here are some pictures of what has been happening here.
I tried to download the video tour of our apartment but it wouldn't work so I'll try later.
XOXO

Here is the baby at 8 weeks 3 days, as of this post I am around 11 weeks

This is Rockefeller Center where Andrew works

Here is some of the town of Newark, New Jersey

3 comments:

Nakina said...

Everything is so exciting in your life right now! I am so happy for you! You are absolutely PERFECT for the young womens! Keep updating :) Love ya!

Anonymous said...

aw Jess! i love this post! :) i was smiling the whole time!! what amazing experiences! and you are just so perfect for those people that need you right now. and your attitude is amazing and makes me want to give you a big hug! Congrats on so many things :) I am so so excited for you guys. as i know soo many people are!
p.s. watch out.. them peruvians have crazy parties.. i mean.. i'm just sayin.

Jamie & Ryan said...

Oh my goodness!!!!! Congrats, you two!! I want to be a mommy so bad! Can't wait til med school is over... Anywho, glad you are liking your new home. Sounds like everything is wonderful! Hope we can come visit sometime. I heart NYC! We could have so much fun!