Around 3:30 I woke up for my mid morning potty break. As I went into the bathroom I all the sudden felt a minor contraction. I was thinking YES FINALLY! I went back into the bedroom to lie down and maybe get some more rest. This little guy had a mind of his own because 2 minutes later I was having another contraction.. and 2 more minutes after that another one came. I got up and walked around a little bit thinking that they were going to calm down and not be so consistent. Instead of calming down they got stronger and finally an hour later I went to wake up Andrew. Andrew and I thought it would be best if I got something to eat and got somewhat ready. We had been timing them and they were right on track. I told him I was going to shower and as I sat down for another contraction my water broke. They got worse from there, so I woke up my parents and the shower was off. We all got ready and headed to the car. It was a really foggy morning which doesn't happen a lot here and for some reason really stuck in my mind.
We got the hospital around 6 and got all checked in and ready. By 6:30 I was in the bed all hooked up to the monitors and when the nurse came in to check where I was at, I was already dilated to an 8. They asked if I wanted an epidural......NO I shouted! Woohoo go me, I was determined to stick to my plan. (I do have to admit, if I would have only been at a 6 I think I probably would have needed an epidural). As the contractions kept coming I could feel baby descending. I told Andrew around 7 that the baby was coming and I needed Dr. Straker here NOW!! Everyone kept telling me the baby wasn't coming yet and I had time, but I kept telling them no he is coming now I need to push. Dr. Straker showed up around 7:30 and when he checked me I was all the way to a 10. (I knew it!) He told me to go ahead and start pushing whenever I felt like it. I begun to push, it was awful. Oh the back pain how I hated you! No one tells you things like you'll have major back pain or that certain things BURN. Those were the most horrible parts of giving birth. One of the nurses came in and said we were racing the lady in the next room so we had to have our baby before them. I'm not sure why but I decided to take the challenge. 33 minutes later baby boy Bertasso graced us with his presents.
He had the biggest cone head EVER and I loved it. His goo and all. He was the most beautiful little piece of heaven I have ever seen. I know that I didn't talk about Andrew a lot in the above paragraphs but let me just say that he was SOOO AMAZING! He did everything I could have asked for and more. He helped me through everything and even though sometimes I was mean to him he just kept loving me and pushing me thru it all. I just feel so blessed that he helped me do it all. I honestly could not have been that strong without him by my side. He looked out for me every way possible. Thanks love!
Well the hospital stay was fine except for the fact that Decker wouldn't eat since he was so tired... in result of that he got jaundice and the day that we were suppose to be headed home he had to stay in the little light machine. I was all sorts of freaked out to leave him but the nurses were so good to him and to us and told me to call around 4am to get the new count on the jaundice. The nurses said it was lower which is a good thing so I had to wait for the pediatrician to make her rounds and call me to tell me if we could take him home. She called around 10 that morning and so Andrew and I headed off to the hospital.. We got there dressed him and took him to his new house.
Things have been going ok since he's been home. I am of course extremely exhausted. He has a lot of gas pains and reflux so he can only sleep upright. When I say upright I mean in my arms all night in an upright position..lucky me! I do love every minute I get to hold his little sweet self in my arms but I don't get ANYTHING done or ANY sleep. I miss my mom being here to help me I felt so lucky to have her here for the week that she was. I am oh so grateful for everything she did for us and all she has ever done for me. What an awesome mom she is. I have called her everyday since and I am sure she wants to strangle me but she doesn't act annoyed at all. Thanks mom I sure love you!
So if anyone has any ideas about how to get him to sleep on his own sitting up right that would be appreciated. I have tried the swing, I have swaddled him(which he hates!) I have tried to do some other things but nothing has worked.. I just don't know what to do. If I put him down when he is finally fast asleep he wakes up in like 45 minutes. Poor guy I feel so bad for him and I get nervous that he will choke on his reflux. Ok anyways we really are doing ok for the most part. Here are some pictures in very random order...
Can you say cone head???? 6 lbs 4 oz 19 inches


.jpg)
7 comments:
:) this is a very happy post. Congratulations and GO YOU for sticking to your birth plan. you are amazing! and inspire me girl!
Now if only I could get on a plane and live with you for a week ... that'd be ideal.
love you girl!
Good job! so proud!
hey jessica congrats he is so cute. So my little guy has reflux too, I really wanted to nurse but i couldn't so we are using sensitive formula and it has worked wonders he has done alot better since we switched if that is even an option for you. there are alot of other little things we do, we have proped up his matress in his cradle, we dont lay him flat hardly at all. well anyways i hope he sarts feeling better and you get some sleep. Congrats again
Jessica I LOVEL LOVE LOVE your story. You are such a freakin champ I"m so jealous of your high pain tolerance!haha He is just perfect, so tiny and simply adorable. Way to go mama.
Awesome birth story Jess!Decker is adorable and you and Andrew look so happy. Kelly and I were both saying how much we want to come see you guys. When Dax was newborn the book "On Becoming Babywise" saved my sanity and my marriage. He wasn't reflux but he was VERY fussy and NEVER slept. Then a friend told me to try the techniques in the book and the difference was astounding as far as the sleep goes. He finally slept in his crib instead of in my arms. Also, my nephew had really bad reflux and his pediatrician suggested putting him to bed in his carseat and that really helped him. The first 6 weeks are the hardest and then it gets easier. I remember being so tired and thinking I would never get to sleep again! Congratulations and feel free to give me a call if you ever need to have some adult conversations. Love you girl!
My sisters kids had reflux and they had a medicine that you can put them on and it helped a ton. she would also put blankets under the mattress to prop it up a little so that her kids were sitting up more. Hope that helps! Congratulations on the new addition!
Congrats Jess and Andrew! It was fun to read your story. We've never dealt with reflux but did need to sleep Megan on an incline to help keep things down due to drainage problems. She slept in her carseat the first several months. We also tilted her crib mattress (lower one of the sides) and that worked pretty well. As far as getting him to fall asleep and stay asleep...well that's another story. Allison struggled the first 6 weeks or so. There were many nights that we ended up going for a drive because that was the only way we could get her to calm down and fall asleep...and it helped keep us sane. I also discovered she would fall asleep to the sound of the vacuum while sat in her bouncer. So we used that trick sometimes too. Hopefully you can get some rest soon...you need all you can get! And, I second the babywise book. Of course you have to use your own judgement but it has some great guidelines. Good sleep is so important! These first few weeks can be rough but you will get through it. :)
Congrats!!! He is adorable and what a lucky little guy to have you both for parents :) Good luck on the sleep thing. Leah is one and still not sleeping through the night! Good luck, and it is good to educate yourself on good sleep ideas and patterns for your baby. I have read every book imaginable! I would say that most help at least a little bit, so it is worth it. Good luck!
Post a Comment